Tuesday, 28 December 2010

2011- The Year of Responsibility

So, this Christmas, like most, I've eaten far too much chocolate, drunk far too much wine and overindulged in yorkshire puddings. As New Year approaches , I've decided to make a few changes. These include: only eat brown carbs, exercise more and to try and not straighten my hair everyday.  This is because on Christmas Eve 2010, some rather lovely people decided to ask me to be their child's godmother. I am, now therefore, a role model to a 7month old child who I rather adore. This is problematic.

Some of my friends are either in a serious relationship, getting married or at least have a serious job.  I have...none of these things at 21 years old. I live in a student house, and am in the last 6 months of my degree, doing a dissertation on a subject I was previously passion about (note the previously) and will leave university in roughly £22 grand in debt.  I might add, my Sports degree, has no relevance to my desired career of Primary Teaching... Fantastic.

 So my plan is this. I am going to channel Bridget Jones and find a 'nice sensible boyfriend and stop forming romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, sexaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional fuckwits, or perverts' It would probably help if most of the men i fancy didn't embody most of these characteristics.

I will eat healthily, and give up my student days of a diet consisting of Papa Johns, Chinese and Indian takeaways, and will eat my vegetables, so my godchild  can never say ' If your vegetables are so important, why do you never eat them Rachel?'  and I will at least attempt to limit my cravings for pik 'n' mix to once a month.

I will try to drink responsibly at Cheerleading socials and on nights out in general- i dont feel the need to elaborate on this one.

I will also resist the temptations of the following: hair straighteners, going to the beach,Topshop, The OC/One Tree Hill when i have v.important work to do, and revelling in socially awkward moments.  Actually scrap that, those are some unrealistic goals for a student who only has 5 hours of lectures per week, at least the ones about eating heathily and being happy are  achievable.
Basically, I'm going to try to be the best Godparent i can be, because he is the most perfect little boy. Here's to you little man, you're going to at least make me attempt to be a better person, and you're not even a year old.

And if i fail at that, I can at least try to claim the prestigous role of the  'cool' one. If that fails...i'll just bribe him with presents. And beer.

Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment