Monday, 21 February 2011

Today Was a Fairytale

At this moment there are 6,470,818,671 people in the world. Some are running scared. Some are coming home. Some tell lies to make it through the day. Others are just not facing the truth. Some are evil men, at war with good. And some are good, struggling with evil. Six billion people in the world, six billion souls. And sometimes... all you need is one. Peyton Sawyer- One Tree Hill

I'm the first to admit that I am cynical about love. I blame Disney and One Tree Hill on my inability to feel that there is any relationship close to what I see on the big screen. Yes, i am embarassed to admit it, but I used to have the BIGGEST crushes on Prince Eric from the Little Mermaid and Aladdin. I am fully aware of the fact that they animated, and therefore not plausible for a relationship, but the thing about them that was so endearing, was the intensity of their relationship and feelings.

Valentines Day is a prime example of my cynicism. Why should there be one day a year where you express how you feel? Surely if you like/love someone, they should know everyday? I mean, I guess it's special, you get to go for a meal or go on an exciting date. For me, Valentines Day should be a Chinese in bed with a best friend, a boyfriend or your mum. Why should Valentines Day be dedicated to purely romantic love? My best friends and family are the people I love most. They are the people that push me to be better, to strive to be the best version of myself and who inspire me.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to have a movie like relationship. Give me Jake Gyllenhaal, Zac Efron, Rob Pattinson, anyday and I'd play the perfect girlfriend. But that's so far from the truth, no relationship is perfect. I also feel like I only date people if I feel like it could go somewhere, whats the point otherwise? I know its shallow, but I have a checklist. A boy who can sing/play piano/guitar, someone who can make me laugh when I'm in a mood (it's difficult..trust me) and a boy who has manners, you dont have to fit the bill exactly, if you claim one of those attributes i'm a fan.

As the great Marilyn Monroe said ' "I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.'

So until, Zac Efron or the perfect man from above asks me out... my only romance is with my friends, and myself. Oh..and the chinese in bed of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment