Saturday, 25 February 2012

I know I have a fickle heart and a bitterness.

I have an obsession love affair with the Brit Awards. It started in the year where Geri Halliwell wore that Union Jack dress, and unconciously gave a lanky, freckly and unfortunate looking ginger child someone to identify with. This year, I was tucked up in bed, perving on One Direction, and Olly Murs whilst running live commentary on BBM at my disgust at Bruno Mars winning Best International Male over Bon Iver.

This is why I love the Brits. It's not just because it gives gingers a chance in life to cement their place in society (Ed Sheeran is my hero) but because it reminds me of the greatness people have inside them. Sure, they have management teams, assistants,  and stylists, they have their hair and makeup done, and dressing rooms full of puppies and lillies but really, they're the same as you and me; we all put our pants on the same way in the morning.  

It is no secret that I, like everybody else on the bloody planet, have a crush on Adele, yes I often complain about 'mainstream' music,  but there is something so obtainable and relatable about her. She grew up in Tottenham, is a role model for women everywhere, and writes honest lyrics about heartbreak and triumph. She wasn't born out of Xfactor, she didn't, or pretend to, sleep with a footballer in order to achieve success. She was herself.


'I make music for the ears, not for the eyes' Adele

There is something so truthful about the way she writes and performs, that everytime I see her live whether it be on youtube or The Brits, it feels as though she's singing the song for the very first time. It feels like her heart is going to burst through her chest, because it's the only way she can deliver the song in the way in which it was meant to be heard.
Real music should make everyone feel like that, like they have nothing to fear, and everything to conquer.

It's the same with sports. I watched Coach Carter this afternoon, a true and perfect story about overcoming adversity to release the thing inside you which makes you great, because that greatness is inside you. You can always be greater than you imagine, because by fulfilling your potential, striving for better, and dreaming a little bigger, you motivate not only yourself, but others to be the best they can be. The human condition is a funny thing, people commit despicable crimes, they murder, they rape, they steal and cause gbh. Yet in the same species we die for people we love, we bring children into the world and run 26 miles  to raise money for people who need help.  All different races, all colours under the sun, men, women, children, pensioners, we are all part something the same, the human race. Everybody has something inside them, that could change them if they could only channel and release it. Call it what you want, a calling, fate or faith.


I think it's amazing to get recognition when it's deserved, whether it's a Brit Award or a hug from someone you were there for. It could be through music like Adele, sport, like Coach Ken Carter or by being generous with your time to someone who needs it,  as Emerson said 'To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...this is to have succeeded'

Amen.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment