'There is a reason I said I'd be happy alone. It wasn’t because I thought I would be happy alone. It was because I thought if I loved someone and then it fell apart, I might not make it. It's easier to be alone. Because what if you learn that you need love? And then you don't have it. What if you like it? And lean on it? What if you shape your life around it? And then it falls apart? Can you even survive that kind of pain? Losing love is like organ damage. It's like dying. The only difference is, death ends. This? It could go on forever.' Meredith Grey- Grey's Anatomy
In the past six weeks, I have watched 7 seasons of Grey's Anatomy. I' m worried that I may be morphing into one of Surgeons.
It's a running joke that I am dark and twisty; I seem incapable of invseting emotionally in my own life. I don't cry, I have perfected the fake smile and I am the one who people come to advice for. But here's a secret. I over emotionally invest in T.V programmes, in particular, One Tree Hill and Grey's Anatomy. My love affair with both is becoming slightly ridiculous, and to an extent, I relate far more easily to the surgeons of Seattle Grace Mercy West hospital, and the tangled lives of those in Tree Hill than I do to non -fictional human beings.
In soap operas, the lives led by the characters are so tragic, happiness is something that is fleeting and ephemeral, like a shooting star; when it comes their way, they fight with all the strength they have to retain that little glimmer of something better. It's remarkable how quickly an audience identifies with a character; the sarcastic one, the needy one, the broken protagonist. Each relatable trait in them is endearing, until you realise the true reason behind your addiction; in reality, the characters are a reflection of the best and worst traits of yourself.
But these characters, all share one similar thread which binds them. They never take happiness for granted, people in this reality, fail in this respect. Life isn't as poetic as the speeches made, the scenes created or the immensity of the relationships projected onto the screen. True happiness however, is rare, the characters in those shows are right to grasp tightly to it and to centre their whole being, towards it's gravity. When opportunities present themselves, take them, take a chance, dare to dream a little bigger. The few I've grasped recently have been the ones which have presented moments to cling to; my Godson now gives me kisses, he miaows when he sees a duck, I said yes to an extemely tiring but rewarding job and I brought some ridiculously high heels despite already being veritically blessed.
I don't care if I'm morphing into these characters, that I'm emotionally invested. These programmes teach us valuable life lessons, Grey's exposes the fragility of life through the displays of medicine. The operations are to save lives, to better the patients quality of living, and to make a difference. Surgeries are, however, like life. Not everybody makes it. One Tree Hill highlights the importance of friends and family, of surrounding yourself with people who you are blessed to know. They both show us the importance of love. Because really, that's what life centres around, loving somebody with everything you possess and being loved back.
In the past six weeks, I have watched 7 seasons of Grey's Anatomy. I' m worried that I may be morphing into one of Surgeons.
It's a running joke that I am dark and twisty; I seem incapable of invseting emotionally in my own life. I don't cry, I have perfected the fake smile and I am the one who people come to advice for. But here's a secret. I over emotionally invest in T.V programmes, in particular, One Tree Hill and Grey's Anatomy. My love affair with both is becoming slightly ridiculous, and to an extent, I relate far more easily to the surgeons of Seattle Grace Mercy West hospital, and the tangled lives of those in Tree Hill than I do to non -fictional human beings.
In soap operas, the lives led by the characters are so tragic, happiness is something that is fleeting and ephemeral, like a shooting star; when it comes their way, they fight with all the strength they have to retain that little glimmer of something better. It's remarkable how quickly an audience identifies with a character; the sarcastic one, the needy one, the broken protagonist. Each relatable trait in them is endearing, until you realise the true reason behind your addiction; in reality, the characters are a reflection of the best and worst traits of yourself.
But these characters, all share one similar thread which binds them. They never take happiness for granted, people in this reality, fail in this respect. Life isn't as poetic as the speeches made, the scenes created or the immensity of the relationships projected onto the screen. True happiness however, is rare, the characters in those shows are right to grasp tightly to it and to centre their whole being, towards it's gravity. When opportunities present themselves, take them, take a chance, dare to dream a little bigger. The few I've grasped recently have been the ones which have presented moments to cling to; my Godson now gives me kisses, he miaows when he sees a duck, I said yes to an extemely tiring but rewarding job and I brought some ridiculously high heels despite already being veritically blessed.
I don't care if I'm morphing into these characters, that I'm emotionally invested. These programmes teach us valuable life lessons, Grey's exposes the fragility of life through the displays of medicine. The operations are to save lives, to better the patients quality of living, and to make a difference. Surgeries are, however, like life. Not everybody makes it. One Tree Hill highlights the importance of friends and family, of surrounding yourself with people who you are blessed to know. They both show us the importance of love. Because really, that's what life centres around, loving somebody with everything you possess and being loved back.

No comments:
Post a Comment