A famous, and groundbreaking four piece once proclaimed, " All you need is love, love is all you need.'
So why is it so bloomin difficult?
As a totally unqualified psychologist, I blame it on our childhood. We grow up on Once Upon a Time's, and Happily Ever After's, and then we discover that life isn't that easy, that heroic princes don't often slay dragons, rescue you from a tower and carry you off on a white horse.
So why do I still expect them too?
My love life of recent times has been, well, crap. Let's just ay that the last few men I've dated resemble the dragon rather than the prince, and thus has left me feeling more like Pinochhio's father, wishing for a 'real boy.'
So after a few awkward, silent, and some damn right horrific dates, I may have found someone I could genuinely like, rather than simply tolerate. But first, I'll run you through the most recent of dragons,
Paul was the boy from uni, the friend that was always down for being FWB'S, but didn't enjoy the "ties" of a relationship. Basically, he wanted to screw around. And I let him because he was insanely charming, funny, and sarcastic. (He later told me this was a mistake on his part, and I got to laugh in his face. Winning.)
Ringo- Survived two painful dates, both of which made me squirm, amazing chemistry, but no sexual attraction. He was keen, and I wasn't. Then I was keen and he wasn't. My excuse was that he was 4 inches smaller than me. He got himself a new girlfriend and paraded it around various social networks so I would see.
And then John stumbled into my life. Sarcastic, hilarious, and musical, on paper he was perfect for me. The best thing about it was that it was totally unplanned, I wasn't looking for anyone, or anything, but apparently everybody else could see it before I could. After weeks of denying that I liked him, I made friends with two wonderful allies, Wine and Vodka and we arranged a date. (I did however, have to be reminded of this in the morning when my head felt like a sumo wrestler and an elephant were playing musical bumps on my head.)
Fast Forward to a couple of days ago, and we're at the cinema. No awkwardness; not even when I bumped into a guy I used to have a HUGGGEEE crush on and went bright red. John kept his cool, he was distant enough to let me talk to this guy without being overprotective and held his own. Don't get me wrong, the date wasn't perfect; he didn't hold open the door, I paid for the tickets, and we got soaked on the walk home, but it was a brilliant first date. We got to see if our sense of humours were in sync, the walk let us learn things about each other, and most importantly he likes sour apple Chewits and made me a cup of tea with milk and two sugars without being asked when we got back to his house. I. am. smitten. And it takes a lot for me to feel excited about dating, because really I'm a stone hearted wench.
John, with all his positivity, hopes and dreams was my favourite Beatle; pretty fitting in this scenario. He represents the ideals we all wish to attain, the attributes we should strive towards.
So I have to ask the question: What's so wrong with fairytales if everyone lives Happily Ever After?

No comments:
Post a Comment