Sunday, 16 October 2011

Make a Decision. Leave Tonight or Live and Die This Way.

'When times get hard, some people turn to God. Me? I turn up the radio' 
30 seconds to Mars - Closer to the Edge.

Music.
It's one of those things that people always claim to be in love with. Music students claim, 'It's my life', wannabees on the Xfactor lie and say 'It's all i breathe, eat and sleep' (Well that's a lie, I'm pretty sure you had Rice Krispies, and you breathe Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide) But recently, and it pains me to admit it, I've found myself agreeing with them. I'm going to admit something cringe here, but when I'm sat on the train, with my ipod in staring out of the window, I pretend I'm in my own music video.

Every moment in my life which I remember with fondness, embarrassment or regret has a song that was playing in the background at the time, or was my track to that particular day. At my year 11 prom it was Fall Out Boy- sugar we're going down, When i got the call in October to say my Grandad had been in rushed into hospital and that i should return home from uni and prepare for the worst it was Mumford and Sons- Awake my Soul. The day I left uni having an emotional goodbye with that guy was Winter- Josh Radin and the song I got ready to on the mornig of my graduation was Little Bird- Ed Sheeran.

We all have that band when we're about 14 that we're obsessed with. Mine was Busted and yes, I cried when they announced their departure from the charts. I had brought every single, B side, and albulm and I was angry to tell you the truth that they were abandoning me. It was like a personal attack, like they were saying ' We don't give a shit about you Rachel.' Hardley the truth, Charlie Simpson just realised he's an utter babe, joined Fightstar, left Fightstar and now has an incredible solo record out. But still, the point is, we don't know where we'll end up, we can't promise that we're okay or that the sky won't fall down, that our dreams aren't filled with darkness. The joy or torment in our hearts that we had previously thought was indescribeable is, and always will be recognized in a melody, a lyric which gives voice to the swell in our hearts we feel, for the tears we can't cry, or the smile we cannot hide.
It literally provides a soundtrack to our lives.


My friend Vicky asked me to summarise her music taste recently, this was my response '
'Vicky, your music taste is eclectic, and picky, you love emotive lyrics, bands  who were around before you were born, because you feel like you should have been born in the 60's. you like music that will set fire to your heart, with anger, joy, love, or sadness, songs which speak to your feelings at that particular time.'



Stop what you're doing. and listen to a cd you haven't heard in years. It might awaken something in you which you had been to scared to feel, or had forgotten how to.

Because really, isn't that what we all want from our music, to escape and feel something?

No comments:

Post a Comment