Who you are is who you are. We're liars. We're thieves. We're addicts. We take our happiness for granted until we hurt ourselves or someone else. We hold grudges. And when faced with our mistakes, we reinvent the past. We reinvent ourselves. At least we try. We're prideful, and we're lustful, and we're incredibly flawed. And eventually, our flaws catch up to us.
Dan Scott- One Tree Hill
When my brother moved out, I didn't mourn or wave him off in a blur of tears. Instead I thought practically as any girl would; I immediately began re-inventing his (much bigger) room. I haven't moved in yet, but it's got Cath Kidston wallpaper,a colour coded wardrobe, and a vintage Victorian nursing chair. Sorry bro, the issues, of FHM stored not -so- secretly by your bedside had to go, I'm afraid tits and tips on metrosexuality weren't for me.
Reinvention is a funny thing. It usually comes after a break up, you cut your hair, invest in a gym membership or become best friends with Jack Daniels. It signals a phase in your life where things are going to change, be better, and allow you to breathe a little easier. It's hailed as this healthy self cleansing routine which will bring a new sense of perspective. But I've always wondered how cutting off 6 inches of your hair, or adding them in a pair of inappropriately high heels will change anything.
Don't get me wrong, I've done it all. In an attempt to change myself I've got new piercings, hair, clothes or furniture that I didn't need, but thought I wanted. I've tried to be more positive, kept a diary, and took up helping little old ladies across the road, and yes, it helped. It helped in an ephemeral kind of way, fleeting and the feeling of smug happiness was almost expected.
Dan Scott- One Tree Hill
When my brother moved out, I didn't mourn or wave him off in a blur of tears. Instead I thought practically as any girl would; I immediately began re-inventing his (much bigger) room. I haven't moved in yet, but it's got Cath Kidston wallpaper,a colour coded wardrobe, and a vintage Victorian nursing chair. Sorry bro, the issues, of FHM stored not -so- secretly by your bedside had to go, I'm afraid tits and tips on metrosexuality weren't for me.
Reinvention is a funny thing. It usually comes after a break up, you cut your hair, invest in a gym membership or become best friends with Jack Daniels. It signals a phase in your life where things are going to change, be better, and allow you to breathe a little easier. It's hailed as this healthy self cleansing routine which will bring a new sense of perspective. But I've always wondered how cutting off 6 inches of your hair, or adding them in a pair of inappropriately high heels will change anything.
Don't get me wrong, I've done it all. In an attempt to change myself I've got new piercings, hair, clothes or furniture that I didn't need, but thought I wanted. I've tried to be more positive, kept a diary, and took up helping little old ladies across the road, and yes, it helped. It helped in an ephemeral kind of way, fleeting and the feeling of smug happiness was almost expected.
I then got a kind of survivor's guilt. Not the kind where you survive a tragic and fatal accident and you feel remorse over those who didn't. But the kind where I'd spent most of my wages on a shit haircut and shoes I couldn’t walk in kind of way.
So why do we feel the need to reinvent ourselves? It promises to be a life saver, something to keep you from going insane and to boost your self esteem. However, what it doesn't advertise is that it won't take the pain away. It just masks and shrouds the feelings that you were trying to escape from in the first place. And like a Kitty Brucknell of Xfactor 'fame', they're the cockroach that won't die. (Probably less annoying than her though, let's face it)Before you know it, that family sized Milky Bar is looking all too attractive, and you're back to square one, left in a small dark space of self doubt and misery.
You are who you are. Don't try to change it, you're that person for a reason, those traits are yours, and yours alone. You are unique. There are over 6 BILLION souls on this Earth, and only ONE of you. You have a right to be here. As yourself. Embrace it.
Breathe.
Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy
So why do we feel the need to reinvent ourselves? It promises to be a life saver, something to keep you from going insane and to boost your self esteem. However, what it doesn't advertise is that it won't take the pain away. It just masks and shrouds the feelings that you were trying to escape from in the first place. And like a Kitty Brucknell of Xfactor 'fame', they're the cockroach that won't die. (Probably less annoying than her though, let's face it)Before you know it, that family sized Milky Bar is looking all too attractive, and you're back to square one, left in a small dark space of self doubt and misery.
You are who you are. Don't try to change it, you're that person for a reason, those traits are yours, and yours alone. You are unique. There are over 6 BILLION souls on this Earth, and only ONE of you. You have a right to be here. As yourself. Embrace it.
Breathe.
Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy
No comments:
Post a Comment