In light of my recent blogpost about the immensity of music, and it's ability to give voice to the swells we feel, I decided to venture a little further, and fully explain some of my favourite lyrics, and the stories behind them; memories made, and smiles painted or tears cried. There is a reason I name each blogpost with a song lyric.
I urge you, if you haven't already, to listen.

1. Coldplay- Fix You'Tears stream down your face when you lose something you cannot replace, I promise you I will love you for my mistakes. Lights will guide you home and ignite your bones and I will try to fix you.'
In 2006, a friend of mine passed away, on a day we were raising money for Teenage Cancer Trust. This song was the first song on my ipod shuffle that day, the lyrics are ridiculously on point. Everybody needed fixing, staff and pupils alike, he was irreplaceable, and people have never really come back from it. Chris Martin's voice is haunting, and perfect. And on this occasion, so fitting.
2. Mozella- Light Years Away' It's almost like you had it planned, like you smiled and shook my hand, and said hey I'm about to screw you over big time.'
Every Monday, During my years in 6th Form, two of my best friends and I would sack off the last period of the day, buy a family sized bottle of fullfat coke, grab some Thai Sweet Chilli crisps and for an hour become emotionally attached to the point of an unhealthy obsession and watch One Tree Hill. We can still quote entire scenes to each other and frequently stream episodes in the background when having a catch up. This song reminds me of being young and having no responsibilites.It also reminds me when I could afford to eat that much crap without needing to go to the gym. Bloody metabolism.
3. Howie Day- Collide'I finally find, you and I, collide'
On my Last day of 6th Form, everyone in my year, sat in the sun ( me with my factor 30) , on the field, and one of the guys stole a year 7's guitar from the music studio and whacked out a beaut of a song. This was it. It didn't matter what clique you were part of, everyone was leaving, people with personal differences set them aside and everyone was just chill. Perfect.
4 The Killers- Mr Brightside' Jealousy, turning saints into the sea, turning through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis'
This song just screams uni to me, every night without fail at some point, this was played. I hold many a fond memory of drunken hazes, insane smiles, and jumping up and down like a teenager minus mine or in hold of additional fancy dress items. Other songs which recieve and honourable mention, include: Katy Perry-Hot and Cold , dedicated to Cheerleading socials, and Journey's Dont Stop Believing. Brighton Uni 2008-2011, you gave me the best three years. Thank you.5. Gavin De Graw Meaning-' Love has a reason there’s a meaning to the world, we’re given love'
Aged 15, my mother stupidly thought I was responsible enough to go to London by myself with a group of friends to a gig. ( I say stupidly, because I'm nearly 22 and the tube still confuses me. Largely. Embarrassingly so, in fact. so HONESTLY, aged 15 i didn't stand a chance) I was front row, i met Gavin De Graw, i got a signed tshirt. Best Night Ever. I also had to carry my paraletic best friend on to the underground, pretend the esclator was an Inter House competition to get her to race me and run up them. I also missed the last train home. The next one was in 5 hours. So what did a group of drunken and elated teenagers do? Go and sleep on Clapaham Junction station for 2 hours until the first train to the nearest stop to Guildford arrived. Personal Safety at it's finest. My personal safety was not fine however when my mum found out about the 'cancelled' train the next morning. Grounded. ( still got the tshirt though, and a tweet from the man himself on my 21st birthday last year. Who got the last laugh there then Mother..)
6. Snow Patrol- Headlights on a Dark Highway'For Once i want to be the car crash, not always the traffic jam.'
Writing my dissertation at 2am one night I decided to make the Ultimate playlist, to work alongside the copious amounts of tea, Ben and Jerrys, and Riveta that was keeping me sane. ( I was trying to be good..) Snow Patrol's lyrics are always amazing, they completely capture the nature of music, the neccessity of a generation's emotional capabilities to immerse themselves in a song and believe it completely tells their story. It's not one of their best known songs, but one of my favourites. That lyric in particular was such a recognizable peice of writing for me, at the time I lived in the library, was surgically attached to my laptop reading journals, chasing interviewees and trying to sound vaguely intelligent. I felt like I was wasting my last year, that I needed to get back into the living my last few weeks of uni instead of living vicariously though other peopl's drunken status and photo updates on Facebook. That week I went out 4 times. Sensible? No. Worth it? Def.
7. Blink 182- What's My Age Again? 'We started making out, then she took off her pants; then, I turned on the T.V; that's about the time she walked away from me'
At a time where money was free ( my then recently extended overdraft) I brought one of my best friend tickets to Reading Festival. We dressed up as leopards, in full body paint got four marriage proposals had about 120 photos taken with strangers and were drunk before we even got there. It was the weekend of the infamous binbag cave, i fainted in the front row of paramore, and had to be carried out of the crowd ( who were not best pleased) and had to experience wee-ing outside. I had blisters for literally 3 weeks from my wellies, probable hypothermia from sleeping at the train station and a disposable camera full of memories. Blink 182 headlined the Saturday and my little teenage fan girl days came flooding back. Except this time i was drunk with a group of my new best friends ( people I'd met 20 seconds before) and stood in a field of thousands instead of me in my room singing into an afrocomb...
8. One Direction- What Makes You Beautiful'The way you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed'
This summer to clear my somewhat ridiculous overdraft I worked in Shakeaway. I say worked, i made milkshakes, created ridiculous dance routines to songs, and flirted with teenage boys to get them to add extra flavours to their shakes. I have no morals or shame. I'm not even going to pretend I don't like One Direction- i bloody love the little scamps. What makes you beautiful played on that stupidly hot day, where we made over 380 milkshakes in 5 hours. But the thing was, surrounded by the people i was working with and having this blasting, I didn't even notice how tired I was. Customers and the other staff were wetting themselves as I jugged milk complete with a dance routine and hairflicks.
9. Ron Pope- You're the reason I come homeYou're the reason that when everything I know falls apart...Well, you're the reason I come home.
Ron Pope is literally one of, if not, my favourite singer songwriters of all time. check him out on twitter @RonPopeMusic, listen on Youtube and fall in love with his lyrics. I've had many a road trip with friends where he's been the soundtrack. I'm seeing him with two of the girls next year when his only London show is played. We will wail with our attempt to sing, but I literally cannot wait. His lyrics are insane and his voice is archaic, never tires, but effortlessly beautiful and captivating. His songs are incredible and he's a genuinely lovely guy too. check him out or you literally will not know what you're missing out on.
I urge you, if you haven't already, to listen.
1. Coldplay- Fix You'Tears stream down your face when you lose something you cannot replace, I promise you I will love you for my mistakes. Lights will guide you home and ignite your bones and I will try to fix you.'
In 2006, a friend of mine passed away, on a day we were raising money for Teenage Cancer Trust. This song was the first song on my ipod shuffle that day, the lyrics are ridiculously on point. Everybody needed fixing, staff and pupils alike, he was irreplaceable, and people have never really come back from it. Chris Martin's voice is haunting, and perfect. And on this occasion, so fitting.
2. Mozella- Light Years Away' It's almost like you had it planned, like you smiled and shook my hand, and said hey I'm about to screw you over big time.'
Every Monday, During my years in 6th Form, two of my best friends and I would sack off the last period of the day, buy a family sized bottle of fullfat coke, grab some Thai Sweet Chilli crisps and for an hour become emotionally attached to the point of an unhealthy obsession and watch One Tree Hill. We can still quote entire scenes to each other and frequently stream episodes in the background when having a catch up. This song reminds me of being young and having no responsibilites.It also reminds me when I could afford to eat that much crap without needing to go to the gym. Bloody metabolism.
3. Howie Day- Collide
On my Last day of 6th Form, everyone in my year, sat in the sun ( me with my factor 30) , on the field, and one of the guys stole a year 7's guitar from the music studio and whacked out a beaut of a song. This was it. It didn't matter what clique you were part of, everyone was leaving, people with personal differences set them aside and everyone was just chill. Perfect.
4 The Killers- Mr Brightside' Jealousy, turning saints into the sea, turning through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis'
This song just screams uni to me, every night without fail at some point, this was played. I hold many a fond memory of drunken hazes, insane smiles, and jumping up and down like a teenager minus mine or in hold of additional fancy dress items. Other songs which recieve and honourable mention, include: Katy Perry-Hot and Cold , dedicated to Cheerleading socials, and Journey's Dont Stop Believing. Brighton Uni 2008-2011, you gave me the best three years. Thank you.
Aged 15, my mother stupidly thought I was responsible enough to go to London by myself with a group of friends to a gig. ( I say stupidly, because I'm nearly 22 and the tube still confuses me. Largely. Embarrassingly so, in fact. so HONESTLY, aged 15 i didn't stand a chance) I was front row, i met Gavin De Graw, i got a signed tshirt. Best Night Ever. I also had to carry my paraletic best friend on to the underground, pretend the esclator was an Inter House competition to get her to race me and run up them. I also missed the last train home. The next one was in 5 hours. So what did a group of drunken and elated teenagers do? Go and sleep on Clapaham Junction station for 2 hours until the first train to the nearest stop to Guildford arrived. Personal Safety at it's finest. My personal safety was not fine however when my mum found out about the 'cancelled' train the next morning. Grounded. ( still got the tshirt though, and a tweet from the man himself on my 21st birthday last year. Who got the last laugh there then Mother..)
6. Snow Patrol- Headlights on a Dark Highway'For Once i want to be the car crash, not always the traffic jam.'
Writing my dissertation at 2am one night I decided to make the Ultimate playlist, to work alongside the copious amounts of tea, Ben and Jerrys, and Riveta that was keeping me sane. ( I was trying to be good..) Snow Patrol's lyrics are always amazing, they completely capture the nature of music, the neccessity of a generation's emotional capabilities to immerse themselves in a song and believe it completely tells their story. It's not one of their best known songs, but one of my favourites. That lyric in particular was such a recognizable peice of writing for me, at the time I lived in the library, was surgically attached to my laptop reading journals, chasing interviewees and trying to sound vaguely intelligent. I felt like I was wasting my last year, that I needed to get back into the living my last few weeks of uni instead of living vicariously though other peopl's drunken status and photo updates on Facebook. That week I went out 4 times. Sensible? No. Worth it? Def.
7. Blink 182- What's My Age Again? 'We started making out, then she took off her pants; then, I turned on the T.V; that's about the time she walked away from me'
At a time where money was free ( my then recently extended overdraft) I brought one of my best friend tickets to Reading Festival. We dressed up as leopards, in full body paint got four marriage proposals had about 120 photos taken with strangers and were drunk before we even got there. It was the weekend of the infamous binbag cave, i fainted in the front row of paramore, and had to be carried out of the crowd ( who were not best pleased) and had to experience wee-ing outside. I had blisters for literally 3 weeks from my wellies, probable hypothermia from sleeping at the train station and a disposable camera full of memories. Blink 182 headlined the Saturday and my little teenage fan girl days came flooding back. Except this time i was drunk with a group of my new best friends ( people I'd met 20 seconds before) and stood in a field of thousands instead of me in my room singing into an afrocomb...
8. One Direction- What Makes You Beautiful'The way you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed'
This summer to clear my somewhat ridiculous overdraft I worked in Shakeaway. I say worked, i made milkshakes, created ridiculous dance routines to songs, and flirted with teenage boys to get them to add extra flavours to their shakes. I have no morals or shame. I'm not even going to pretend I don't like One Direction- i bloody love the little scamps. What makes you beautiful played on that stupidly hot day, where we made over 380 milkshakes in 5 hours. But the thing was, surrounded by the people i was working with and having this blasting, I didn't even notice how tired I was. Customers and the other staff were wetting themselves as I jugged milk complete with a dance routine and hairflicks.
9. Ron Pope- You're the reason I come homeYou're the reason that when everything I know falls apart...Well, you're the reason I come home.
Ron Pope is literally one of, if not, my favourite singer songwriters of all time. check him out on twitter @RonPopeMusic, listen on Youtube and fall in love with his lyrics. I've had many a road trip with friends where he's been the soundtrack. I'm seeing him with two of the girls next year when his only London show is played. We will wail with our attempt to sing, but I literally cannot wait. His lyrics are insane and his voice is archaic, never tires, but effortlessly beautiful and captivating. His songs are incredible and he's a genuinely lovely guy too. check him out or you literally will not know what you're missing out on.
10. Mumford and Sons- After the StormAnd there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears. And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Because really, doesn't this lyric captivate everything we hope with all our heart for?
Music is everything.
Believe in it's ability to heal, inspire, sympathise, and speak for you. It has an uncanny talent for giving you exactly what you need at that particular time.

Make a wish and place it in your heart. Anything you want, everything you want. Do you have it? Good. Now believe it can come true. You never know where the next miracle is going to come from. The next smile, the next wish come true. But if you believe that it's right around the corner, and you open up your heart and mind to the possibility of it, to the certainty of it, you just might get the thing you're wishing for. The world is full of magic. You just have to believe in it. So make your wish. Do you have it? Good. Now believe in it, with all of your heart." - One Tree Hill
Because really, doesn't this lyric captivate everything we hope with all our heart for?
Music is everything.
Believe in it's ability to heal, inspire, sympathise, and speak for you. It has an uncanny talent for giving you exactly what you need at that particular time.

Make a wish and place it in your heart. Anything you want, everything you want. Do you have it? Good. Now believe it can come true. You never know where the next miracle is going to come from. The next smile, the next wish come true. But if you believe that it's right around the corner, and you open up your heart and mind to the possibility of it, to the certainty of it, you just might get the thing you're wishing for. The world is full of magic. You just have to believe in it. So make your wish. Do you have it? Good. Now believe in it, with all of your heart." - One Tree Hill
No comments:
Post a Comment