Sunday, 30 December 2012

You're Young and In Love, That Should Be Enough


Bridget Jones: You think you've found the right man, but there's so much wrong with him, and then he finds there's so much wrong with you, and then it all just falls apart. 

I'm not a people pleaser. Far from it.

 However, like most people, I like to be liked. If people have a problem with me, I'd rather know why, so if it's something I can fix. Everyone is guilty of it: 'I don't like her.' 'Why?' 'I don't know, I just don't'. It's almost in our nature to make assumptions, to be irrational with our feelings and to raise our own self esteem by belittling somebody else. Did we not learn anything from our mothers when they used to say , 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.' ?

Trying to please everybody is exhausting and  trying to keep up with the various versions of yourself dictated by who you are spending time with is pointless. I'm completely fed up with changing for you because I'm never going to be 'perfect' , or what you envision it to be.

 When faced with the seemingly perfect Mark Darcy, Bridget Jones famously said  ' First off, I embarrass you. I can't ski, I can't ride, I can't speak Latin , my legs only come up to here and yes I will always be just a little bit fat.'

So here it goes. Take me or leave me: I will never be a size 8 blonde. I dress however the fuck I want for me, not for you. I will do anything for you, but don't you dare push me away because I won't come back. I don't like being told what to do or how I should live my life. I can't be picked up and put down anymore. I won't bend to you or fall at your feet to feel as though you couldn't care less. I have a temper and I am a sarcastic little bitch.  I talk, a lot. I moan. I drink too much tea. I look like a corpse in the mornings. I don't understand heavy metal music. I'm socially inappropriate. I have hips and thighs the size of Russia, and in summer my freckles explode and I look like a giraffe.

However, this doesn't give you the excuse to turn around and tell me what to change about myself in order for you to like me. Just because you are who you are doesn't gives you the right. Far, far from it. You should be the one encouraging me to stay exactly as I am. Ginger hair and all.

You are no Mark Darcy.

Mark Darcy: I like you, very much. 
Bridget: Ah, apart from the smoking and the drinking, the vulgar mother and... ah, the verbal diarrhea. 
Mark Darcy
: No, I like you very much. Just as you are. 

I'm fed up of hoping you are.

                              

No comments:

Post a Comment