Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Merry Christmas you arse, I pray God, it's your last.

Tumblr_ld74h3jn791qcilypo1_400_large



                        I don' t like Christmas.




There, I got your attention. But in all seriousness, I've never been a fan of the lights which dominate the front of houses to the point where they resemble Blackpool Illuminations. I don't enjoy Christmas shopping and I bloody hate Turkey. Tis the season to be jolly? How about you go wipe your arse with a sprig of holly and see how jolly you are then.


For me, Christmas is a fake holiday. I'm not knocking the birth of Christ, in fact i'm pretty fond of the fella, but instead, with all it's commercialism and distaste, I think we've genuinely forgotten what real happiness feels like at this time of year. Instead, we place the responsibilty of us smiling, to the Coca- Cola adverts, and the chocolate underneath each new door on our advent calender. I'm not going to judge because I get sucked in too, decorating the tree excites me and whenever I hear the immortal words of Slade ' ITTT'SSSS CHRRRISSSTTMASSSS' my ears prick.  I mean I'm not that emotionally stunted. But honestly where was this turning point? How did we become so broken and false at this time of year and since when did having the latest iPad, Louboutins or Jack Wills gilet consume our need to spend time with family or friends?

Maybe its just me.

Last Year on Christmas Eve I was asked to be a Godmother, and thus I wrote a blog naming 2011 as the Year of Responsibility. I vowed to drink sensibly, find a nice boyfriend, and stop using The OC and One Tree Hill as procrastination tools. In some people's opinion I was successful, I graduated university with a first, landed a job  I love, and stopped straightening my hair everyday. But I also made some huge mistakes which have changed a lot of things. Things that can't be undone or taken back. Things I most definitely regret to the point where I've questioned myself.

So for this Christmas, I'm going to surround myself with the people I love the most, and be thankful for what I do have. As for 2012, it's the Year of No Name, the pressure's off, and hopefully I can try to fix some things.

Thinking about it though, I'm lucky. I've got a family who love me even though I'm ginger, and friends who can make me laugh until I can't breathe. I've also got a Godson who told his Daddy to 'MAN UP' at 18 months old..


So with no sarcasm intended, Merry fucking Christmas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment